VILLA CATIGNANO - History
The history of Villa Catignano
The "Villa di Catignano" was built at the end of the 17th century by the ancestor of the currents proprietors, Quinto Settano, pseudonym of Monsignor Lodovico Sergardi, a writer and a lover of the arts. The small borough already existed in 1500 with the name of "Clatinianum" as a property of Sergardi family.
Villa Catignano dominates a beautiful Giardino all'Italiana (italian renaissance garden) decorated with statues representing the four season, and the medieval towers of Siena being part of the scenario.
The villa now welcomes guests who appreciate historical sites and suggestive atmospheres; Villa Catignano is divided into large apartments, and the most suggestive ones can be reached walking through the large entrance hall dominated by the coat of arms of the Sergardi family and their motto "Expertus fidelem".
Guests will appreciate lemon trees, vases of geraniums all around the Villa and the Arcadian atmosphere which has been for centuries a frame to the tradition of a family of notaries and lovers of letters and arts. We are certain that the peace and serenity of this ensemble will remain with them forever.